Saturday, September 20, 2014

Saturday is for 6th grade scope and sequence


Today is the day that I am detailing the scope and sequence of 6th grade math.

I am not promising that I will have it ready for Monday. I am letting you know that this is getting 6+ hours of my time today. I have already spent a good deal of time on plans for 6th grade math so I am hopeful for finishing up a detailed plan soon.

Here is what to expect from all of my scope and sequence plans. The list below should give you a flavor of the format.



Mathematics Domain:  Solving basic equations and creating basic expressions
  1. Skill:  Solving equations using addition and subtraction
  2. Skill:  Solving equations using multiplication and division
  3. Skill:  Creating expressions from real world scenarios that use addition and subtraction
  4. Skill:  Creating expressions from real world scenarios that use multiplication and division
  • Assessment:  Basic Equations and Expressions Test
  • Target date for completion:  October XX, 2014


I expect each class to have around 20 mathematical domains and assessments.

Assessments are short (5-7) questions, are only administered when individual students are ready and may be retaken as often as students like in order to increase their grade and demonstrate mastery.

More on assessments and grading policies later.