Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Specific IXL skills



I have noticed that some middle school students, perhaps distracted by the recent beautiful fall days or perhaps the mystery of irrational numbers, are not practicing the assigned skills.  I am happy that they are practicing math!  But our classes are now much more focused on a set of skills and a particular math domain.

There are cases where individual students have approached me and ask to work on different skills based on their current achievement level.  But there are others who seems to accidentally working on the wrong skills.

I do this all the time myself so I empathize.  My family has lots of stories in which they tell me one thing and I quite conveniently hear quite another.

Nonetheless, I want to remind students and parents what our current focus is in each of the classes so we all get on the right track.

6th grade is currently working on single variable expressions and numbers with exponents.

7th grade is working on classifying real numbers, mathematical properties and order of operations.

8th grade is working on polynomials and variables with exponents.

Please check with your student that they are practicing the skills from the recent homework assignments page on this blog.

And forgive the occasional spacey forgetfulness of those of us who may be distracted by the mysterious nature of logic, math and fall colors.